Clapham Area Guide
Clapham is one of the most desirable places to live in London
(Image credit: kfh.co.uk)
Located South of the River with a green commune at its heart and an abundance of eateries and brilliant bars - the area is highly sociable, with a real sense of community
Clapham’s charm comes from the fact it is peppered with individual enclaves -from Northcote Road, Abbeville Road, Clapham Common and Lavender Hill.
Such is the array of restaurants in Clapham that you will be absolutely spoilt for choice. Here a handful of our favourites…
(Image credit: cdn.thenudge)
- The Manor is fantastic with a deliciously British menu.
- Those in the know head to the discreet door at Four o Nine restaurant – the intimate dining room is perfect for special occasions.
- The Dairy’s commitment to reliably sourced seasonal ingredients is second to none
- Overlooking the park you can find French inspire fruit tarts and ice cream at Madeleine
- Metro has a beautiful fairy-lit garden, a beautiful alfresco dining experience
- Breads Etcetera is a fantastic artisan bakery
- The Black Lab a specialist coffee house
- Esca Deli on Clapham High Street offers great mouth-watering pastries
The busy high street is the place to start a night out and people travel from all over London to make the most of Clapham’s bars and pubs.
(Image credit: no32oldtown)
- No 32 Old Town, just off Clapham Common is a great bar has a roof terrace perfect for the summer months (the food is also excellent!).
- Lotus Bar provides something different with its cocktail ovfferings and edible flowers
- Venn Street Records, has live music every Thursday evening and is always packed full of people.
(Image credit: claphamosteopath)
The corners of Clapham are united by the eponymous common, a broad and tranquil green space, beloved by locals and a real focal point for the community.
The 89-hectare common is one of the largest open spaces in London and boasts a number of different playing fields, a playgroup for children, paddling pool and a Grade II listed bandstand.
This part of London was bombed heavily in World War II – so there is an inconsistency in buildings - unknown to some there are three of London’s deep level air shelters still located underneath Clapham’s three tube stations.
A wealth of tube and overground stations makes getting around the city very easy. Clapham Junction offers quick access to Gatwick Airport.
Three underground stations (Clapham North, Clapham Common, Clapham South)
Two overground stations (Clapham Junction, Clapham High Street)
- Looking for a London vacation rental? -
Elm’s Crescent is a beautifully decorated, family-friendly London holiday home – with your own private garden and located just around the corner from Clapham Common staying here you and your family are perfectly positioned to explore all Clapham, and London, has to offer.
Browse more properties at our website here