Ivy Lettings’ Top Picks for a Winter Break in London
Despite Richard Curtis’ best efforts, London is not always so quaintly picturesque during the winter months. Images of delicate snowflakes dancing through the air, whilst couples walk hand-in-hand through soft pillows of snow and woollen-clad children laugh happily with red cheeks can abruptly be shattered by train delays, icy winds and greying slush piled on the edge of our pavements.
At times, the cold, wind and rain (yes rain, living up to stereotypes!) can put a dampener on a visit to our wonderful city, however all is not lost! The Ivy Lettings team, fed up with grey skies, has compiled our favourite and unmissable winter activities to brighten any day.
Hibernation just isn’t worth it…
[Image Credit: Royal Parks]
Fancy escaping the hustle and bustle of the city streets? One of the best things to do in London is take a walk in one of the many parks. London parks are beautiful in the winter months, and there are so many routes you can take. It’s free, peaceful and revitalising in the crisp winter air.
Head to the banks of the Serpentine in the famous Hyde Park and visit the Lido Café for a revitalising cup of tea, before strolling alongside the lake, visiting the Italian Gardens near Bayswater Road, passing a statue of Peter Pan, crossing the Serpentine Bridge and finishing at the Princess Diana memorial fountain.
Stay at Ovington Gardens – a spacious 3-bedroom apartment in Knightsbridge. Being only an 11-minute walk to Hyde Park, this London vacation rental is perfectly located.
Pubs & Bars
[Image Credit: Predilection]
Tea and coffee is all well and good, but a pub or bar with an open fire warms the soul.
Visit the much anticipated pop-up Hot Gin Roof bar on the Ham Yard Hotel roof. With blankets provided, panoramic views of the London skyline, hot Negronis, hot G&Ts and fiery cocktail making by their expert mixologists, a visit is a must and tickets are selling like hotcakes. https://www.designmynight.com/london/whats-on/date-night/hot-gin-roof-the-classics
[Image Credit: West End Theatre]
London is one of the best places in the world to catch a show. Be it ballet, opera, improv performance or children’s plays, performances are happening every day. Tickets can be very affordable if you book in advance, or you can try and buy cheap last minute tickets on the day from various booths around town.
What’s on at the National Theatre:
- Peter Pan (must end 4 February) https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows/peter-pan
- Us/Them (playing until 18 February) https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows/us-them
- Twelfth Night (From 15 February) https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows/twelfth-night
What’s on at Shakespeare’s Globe:
- The White Devil (playing until 16 April) http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/theatre/whats-on/sam-wanamaker-playhouse/the-white-devil-2016
- Othello (Playing 23 February – 22 April) http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/theatre/whats-on/sam-wanamaker-playhouse/othello-2016
- The Taming of the Shrew ( 4 – 25 March) http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/education/teachers/playing-shakespeare/family-performances
What’s on at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane:
What’s on at the New London Theatre:
- The School of Rock http://www.reallyusefultheatres.co.uk/performances/show/school-of-rock
What’s on at Her Majesty’s Theatre:
- The Phantom of the Opera http://www.reallyusefultheatres.co.uk/performances/show/phantom-of-the-opera
What’s on at the Cambridge Theatre:
- Matilda The Musical http://www.reallyusefultheatres.co.uk/performances/show/matilda
What’s on at Cadogan Hall:
- The London Chamber Orchestra
- Rumours of Fleetwood Mac
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra – Everlasting Love: Songs of the 60s
- Magic of Motown
For a full calendar of events, please see here. https://www.cadoganhall.com/whats-on/
Our experienced sales team can help find you the perfect London vacation rental based on what you're looking for. If you have a specific criteria for your search regarding budget, location or amenities, do feel free to let us know by emailing [email protected] and we will get back to you with our recommendations!